Seaboards main Passenger and Fast Freight engine was the 4-8-2 mountain. Three series of M class engines were rostered . The M class was built by Alco Locomotive in 1914 numbered 200-209, and in1917 Seaboard bought 210-214. These engines had 69” drivers and a Vanderbilt tender. The M1 numbers 215-224 built in 1922 also had 69” drivers and a Vanderbilt tender. The M2 class built by Baldwin from 1924-1926 numbered 235-270 had 72” drivers and Vanderbilt tenders. The M2’s were modified with semi-Vanderbilt tenders with 6 wheel trucks holding 18 to 20 tons of coal and 10,000 gallons of water. Some were converted to oil-burners #242-253-254-257-261-&267. The M2 class engines proved well in speed, power, and ability to run long hauls. All M & M1’s were retired between 1948 and 1952, the M2’s were retired between 1952 & 53.
Our example is a M2 class with modified semi Vanderbilt tender. The model is a very modified Bowser mountain with semi Vanderbilt coal tender built by Andrew Detmer.
Seaboards main switchers were 0-6-0’s. In 1907 SAL began to acquire a standard model class 0-6-0 known as the L5. Built by Baldwin between 1907 thru 1913 numbered 402-431. In 1917 they were renumbered 1030 thru 1059. The L5’s featured the slope back tenders. The L5’s lasted until 1945/1952. The most successful 0-6-0’s were of the USRA F5 and F7 class. The F5’s were built by Alco in 1918 numbered 1090-1099 followed by the F7 built by Baldwin between 1927/28. The F7’s were numbered 1101 thru 1150 and the most powerful, and fuel efficient engines of the period. All three class engines were used in major yards with the F5 being retiring between 1950 to 52 and the F7’s between 1952 to 53.
Our example is the USRA F5 out of the box Proto 2000.
EMC E Units pre WWII
In 1938 Seaboard ordered its first diesels from EMC. These units were classed as E4’s. Ordered for the Orange Blossom Special in A-B-A sets they numbered 3000 thru 3013 A units and 3100 thru 3104 B units. Shortly afterward in 1939 the Silver Meteor arrived having one of the units assigned to each of its three sets of seven cars. As dieselization advanced Seaboard ordered three more units class E6A # 3014-3016 built in 1941, the 3014 was built in 1939 as a demo for the New York Worlds Fair. The only main difference between the E4 and E6 was the E4 had a folding front door in the nose. These units newl were painted in the “Citrus” paint with a yellow roof and silver trucks, later with the arrival of the E7’s, changed to the green roof and black trucks. In 1954 Seaboard changed to a Dark green roof and ends, with a light green carbody and red stripe. All remaining units were retired in 1964. 3003(1942), 3012(1942), 3013(1943), 3101(1962), &3016(1962) wrecked and scrapped.
Our models are out of the box Proto 2000 E6A/E4B.
Post War Passenger Units
EMD E7, E8, & E9
In 1945 Seaboard purchased E7 units from EMD to help dieselize their passenger trains. The first A unit was numbered 3017 through 3030. In 1946 the 3031-3035 arrived followed by the 3036-3044 in 1948, with the last of this model #3045-3048 in 1949. B units # 3105-3107 arrived in 1948. Units delivered in Orange Blossom Special Colors with black trucks and yellow roofs soon changed to green. Most units survived through the SCL years being retired after Amtrak took over Passenger operations. The one exception is Amtrak leased ex-Seaboard 3022 (SCL 549) renumbered 5549, 3028 (SCL 554) #5554, 3031 (SCL 557) 5557, & 3032 (SCL 558) #5558 until 1974. Our examples are out of the box Proto 2000 units.
In 1950 Seaboard ordered (6) E8A units from EMD. Delivered in the Orange Blossom Scheme with green roofs. Numbered 3049-3054. In 1952 Seaboard was able to retire all steam. E8’s numbered 3055-3059 were delivered in December of that year. In 1954 SAL went to a lime (white) green with dark green ends and roof with red stripe, replacing the OBS paint scheme. All units went to SCL and retired with the advent of Amtrak. SCL 588 & 597 wrecked 1971.
In 1963 Seaboard bought one of the last E units built. E9 number 3060 was purchased to replace E6 #3016. It was the only unit delivered in the Mint Green Scheme. Renumbered SCL 599 was retired in 1972 just 9 years old!
Our example is a Proto 2000 E7A and E7B.
Our example of a light green E7 is a customized Model Power.
Our example is a Proto 2000 E8A.
Our example is a Custom Model Power E8A.
SEABOARD’s Dual Service SDP 35
Seaboard wanted to replace their older pre-war E units. With the decline of passenger service and need for power to pull the secondary heavy mail & express passenger trains, Seaboard needed a locomotive to also use in freight service. The decision was made to purchase dual service locomotives. SDP 35 units numbered 1100-1119 were delivered in mid to late 1964 with a gear ratio for speeds up to 89 mph. Equipped with dynamic brakes and steam generators these units were suitable for both high speed freight and passenger service. These units were painted in Seaboards freight scheme, and all originally had Hancock Whistles.
All units made the SCL merge and renumbered SCL 601-620 later renumbered 1951-1970. Units 1952-1954, 1956, 1958-1962 were transferred to the L&N in the mid 1970’s. Most units were retired in 1983. 1951 (SCL#5), 1955 (SCL#2), 1957 (SCL #1), 1964 (SCL#6) were rebuilt in Waycross with non-turbo engines for Hump Service.Our example of the SDP35 is an out of the box Atlas.
SEABOARD FREIGHT DIESELS
EMD Freight Units
In 1942 Seaboard ordered its first diesel freight road units. Classed as FTA-FTB sets they were permanently coupled together to combine 2700 HP. The first sets numbered 4000-4005 A units, 4100-4105 B units followed by 4006-4011 A and 4106-4111B in 1943. In 1944 units 4012-4021A and 4112-4121B arrived. These units saw mainline service system wide. In 1955-1957 Seaboard traded many of these units in for GP 9’s and again in 1962 for GP30’s. The last units retired in 1963 #4004-4005A, 4104-4105B, 4010-4011A, 4110-4111B. These units were delivered in the “Citrus” paint but later received the simple green & yellow.
Our examples are Bowser FTA & FTB shells modified and placed on Athearn drives, custom painted in the “Citrus” scheme.
In 1948 Seaboard received eleven F3 A units from EMD in the early “chicken wire “ phase. They were delivered in the simple green freight paint scheme. Units were numbered 4022 thru 4032. When new these engines were used to complete a set of A-B-A configuration with the FT’s, and FA’s. Seaboard was not a fan of the car-body style in freight service, in later years most of the F’s were found as trailing units behind road switchers. All units retired in 1966.
Our example is an out of the box Athearn Genesis.
SEABOARD GP UNITS
GP 7’s, 9’s 18’s 30’s 35’s, & 40
In 1950 Seaboard went to EMD for their first new General Purpose Road Switchers. GP7’s #1700 thru 1703 were the first to be delivered with 1704 thru 1755 arriving throughout the year. Units 1705 thru 1711 and 1745 thru 1755 were delivered with steam generators. In 1951 units 1756 thru 1782 arrived, units 1756 thru 1769 were equipped with steam generators. 1952 saw the last of the GP7 models with units 1783 thru 1822 being delivered. The 1700 thru 1782 were delivered with the 6 BL (Branch Line) automatic brake valve. These units could only lead other 6BL brake equipped units. When units 1783 and later were delivered, the 24RL brake was used allowing M/U control for all multiple units. All Seaboards GP 7’s remained into SCL with the 1799 being one of the few painted in the light green scheme after being wrecked. All units delivered in the dark green freight scheme with the name moved from center to aft being the only change until the light green arrived in 1966.
In 1955 Seaboard returned to EMD for the newer GP9. Units 1900 thru 1921 were delivered that year. 1922 thru 1925, and 1954 thru1978 arrived in 1956 with units 1926 thru 1929 arriving in 1957. The last unit #1979 arrived in 1959 replacing wrecked E7 #3042. (This unit had the 2 large radiator fans like the GP18’s). Most GP9’s were purchased using FT A-B set trade-ins for remanufactured parts. All units except; 1911, 1927, 1962, 1972, & 1979 went to SCL. The five listed were destroyed in a head-on at Cherryville NC. Units delivered in dark green freight scheme.
In 1960 Seaboard purchased the new GP18. Units 400 thru 409 were delivered with Dynamic Brakes. Units delivered in dark green freight scheme and the first EMD units to have dynamic brakes. When new, units were assigned to Hamlet later used system wide. All units went to SCL.
A new generation of diesels arrived with the GP30. Seaboard received EMD’s new production of Turbo Charged units in 1962. Units 501 thru 519 were the first arrivals in 1962 and 520 thru 534 in 1963. These units were also the first locomotives on Seaboard to have the low nose. Delivered in the dark green freight scheme, with dynamic brakes. All units remained into SCL.
In 1965 Seaboard returned for the new GP 35. Units 535 thru 544 were delivered in the dark green freight scheme, with dynamic brakes. The ” Through the Heart of the South” Herald was not applied to these units under the cab window only the unit number. All units continued into SCL.
The last units bought from EMD before the SCL merge was for the GP40. In 1966 units 600 thru 629 were delivered with units 630 thru 650 arriving in February 1967. Delivered in the new Jolly Green Giant scheme and with dynamic brakes. All units renumbered to SCL 1515 thru1565.
Our example of the GP7 is an out of the box Proto 2000.
Our example of the GP 30 is an out of the box Proto 2000.
Our example of the GP 35 is an out of the box Athearn.
SEABOARDS DIESEL SWITCHERS
SEABOARDS BALDWIN SWITCHERS
In 1939 Seaboard purchased their first diesel switcher. EMC SW1 # 1200. Alco and Baldwin offered the S1 #1201 and VO 660 # 1202 in 1941. The SW1 remained in service unchanged until retired in 1966. This little engine spent most of its life in Hialeah FL. The Alco S1 was upgraded to an S2 in 1957 and retired as SCL #26 in 1976. The Baldwin VO 660 was also upgraded using a EMD 567 diesel in 1964. This class of engine was often referred to as an S10. The 1202 was retired in 1980 as SCL # 27.
In 1941 Seaboard also ordered 3 VO 1000’s from Baldwin, #1400 thru 1402. 1944 saw #1413 & 1415 arrive along with #1414 & 1416 in 1945. All of the VO1000’s were repowered between 1962 & 1963 with the EMD 567. Seaboard also acquired an ex MD&S VO1000 #1000 and was numbered 1492, it received the same EMD upgrade. All of the ex VO 1000’s made the SCL roster #1400 to SCL #28, 1401 to 29, 1402 to 30, 1413 to 37, 1414 to 38, 1415 to 39, 1416 to 40, & 1492 to 84. These engines spent the last many years in Jacksonville and Baldwin after the upgrade. All retired between 1980/81.
In 1946 the Baldwin DS4-4-1000 arrived. These engines were # 1417 thru 1424. 1950 saw #1435 thru1458 added to the roster and in 1951 #1459 thru 1461. The first group in 1946 was not turbo charged while the rest were. It was a real treat to hear the Baldwin locomotives under a full load, the turbo had a very similar whistle sound like an Alco. The 1417 thru 1438 were retired in 1966 the remaining units went on to SCL. The renumbering assignment was in order with the 1439 to #51 thru 1461 to #73. These locomotives spent most of their time in Jacksonville, Baldwin, Wildwood, Tampa, Savannah, or Hamlet. SCL retired these units between 1975/78.
1952 saw the S12 arrive with #1462 thru 1465. 1953 continued with # 1476 thru 1481. These turbo charged engines made the SCL roster in order as; #1462 to 203, #1481 to 222. Like the DS4 they too spent most of their time in Jacksonville, Baldwin, Wildwood, Tampa, Savannah, or Hamlet. SCL retired these engines between 1974/78
1952/53 also received the RS12. These engines were longer and had a steam generator with a high nose rear (for steam generator). Numbered 1466 thru 1475, these units saw early passenger switching along with other freight duties system wide. In later years Seaboard removed the steam generators and assigned them to Jacksonville, Baldwin, Wildwood, Tampa, & Hamlet. The 1470, 1471,1473,1474 & 1475 retained their steam generators until SCL removed them in the early 70’s. All units remained into SCL with renumbering in order. #1466 to 207, #1475 to 216. SCL retired all units between 1975/77.
Our example is a out of the box Stewart VO1000
Our S12 is a custom Athearn S12
Our RS12 is a custom Stewart RS12
In 1942 Seaboard received its first Alco class S2 switcher. Units numbered 1403-1405 arrived, with 1425-1431 later in 1946 and units 1432-1434 in 1948. Rated at 1000 HP these units saw most service in yards in Miami and Tampa but not exclusively. An earlier unit from Alco was a class S1 built in 1941 as #1201, which was up-graded to an S2. Later Alco switchers were classed as S4’s built in 1953, numbers 1482-1491. Unit 1201 went to SCL renumbered #26 and sold in 1976, units 1403-1405 traded in 1966 for GP40’s, #1425-1434 went to SCL renumbered 41-50 respectively and all sold in 1976 except #44(ex1428) in 1975 & #47(ex1431) leased to Valdosta GA Feed Mill until 1978. The S4 units #1482-1491 went to SCL and renumbered #74-83 respectively, all sold in 1976.
Our example of Alco switcher in an S2 from Atlas out of the box.
Alco Road Cab Diesels
In 1948 Seaboard ordered three FA1 and FB1 units from Alco. These rare units were delivered in the simple green with wide yellow stripe paint. A units numbered 4200-4202, B units #4300-4302. While units were used system wide new, they found Florida home as did most Alco units with West Jacksonville doing most Alco repairs and maintenance inspections. Seaboard retired units in 1966.
Our examples are out of the box Proto 2000.
Seaboard Alco Road Switchers
Seaboard’s first Alco Road Switchers were A1A RSC2’s numbers 1500 thru 1503 built in 1947. A1A trucks were built to distribute weight on light rail branch lines with the center wheels being an idler axle. Many of the RSC’s were converted to 4 axle trucks in the fifties due to wheel slip problems. In 1949 units numbered 1504 thru 1531 were delivered with the last arriving in 1950 numbers 1532 thru 1536. 1531 thru 1536 were delivered with steam generators. All units retired in 1965 except 1502 to SCL 1100, 1503 to 1101, 1513 to1102, 1524 to1103, 1526 to 1104, 1531 to 1105, 1532 to 1106, 1533 to 1107, 1534 to1108, 1535 to 1109, & 1536 to1110. These units had the steam generators removed in 1969 and were retired by SCL in 1974.
In 1949 Seaboard ordered the four axle RS2. Units number 1600 thru 1604 were the first to arrive with 1605 thru 1628 arriving in 1950. Ex Macon Dublin and Savannah units built in 1949 arrived with the merger of the MD&S in 1958 and numbered 1685 thru 1687. The 1600 thru 1603 and 1628 along with the three ex MD&S units all retired in 1966. The 1604 thru 1627 all remained into SCL and retired between 1972 and 1974.
In 1950 Seaboard ordered seven more RSC3’s from Alco numbered 1537 thru 1543. The 1537 – 1540 had steam generators. All of these units remained into SCL with the steam generator units removed. All retired in 1974.
Along with the RSC3’s Seaboard ordered the RS3. Units 1629 thru 1659 arrived in 1950 with 1660 thru 1674 in 1951, and 1675 thru 1684 in 1952. Ex MD&S units arrived in 1958 renumbered 1688 thru 1691. The 1665 thru 1679 had steam generators. In the mind 50’s the steam generators were deactivated in these units. All RS3’s remained into SCL and retired between 1971 and 1974.
The final RS units were delivered in 1960. The RS11 numbers 100 thru 109 were delivered with Seaboard’s first Dynamic Brakes. All units remained into SCL and traded to L&N in 1976.
In 1965 the first Alco C420’s arrived. Units were numbered 110 thru 135. Unit 136 arrived in 1966 to replace wrecked unit 126. All units remained into SCL except 126; all others were traded to L&N in 1976.
A note about the RSC2 and RS2 exhaust stacks. These units were built with air cooled turbo chargers running lengthways on the carbody. Units were modified with water cooled turbo’s changing the stacks to cross the car body
Our example is a Proto 1000.
Our example is a Proto 1000.
Our example is out of the box Athearn
RSC3Our example is a custom painted Atlas RSD4/5 used to represent the RSC3. The main difference is the middle axle space due to the third traction motor in the RSD.
Our example is a Custom Atlas.
Alco Century C420
Our example is a Custom MRC.
SEABOARD’s GE Roadswitcher
In 1966 Seaboard wanted to replace some of their aging Alco fleet. An order was placed with GE for the model U30B. These units were delivered as numbers 800-814 with dynamic brakes and riding Blomburg trucks (from trade-ins) wearing the new Light Green Freight scheme.
Not even 1 year old when the SCL merge took place these units were renumbered SCL 1704-1718 and wore the “Split Image” paint for many years before being repainted black and yellow. Most units were retired between 1986-87.
Our example of the U30B is an out of the box Proto 2000.